Wednesday, November 21, 2012

The Next Big Thing


The Next Big Thing is a sort of blogging chain letter wherein a writer answers 10 questions about his or her current writing project and then tags five other writers with their links so that you can see how they answer the same questions. I think this may be illegal in Utah and Mississippi.

So here is my go at it:

1.  What is your working title of your book?

The Pot Thief Who Studied Confucius.

2. Where did the idea come from for the book?

My wife will be teaching in China next spring, so that is where I will be writing. I’m hoping for some wisdom for a change.

3. What genre does your book fall under?

Humorous murder mysteries.

4. Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?

I watch mainly old movies, so all the people I think fit the parts are dead.

5. What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?

Hubie finds an Anasazi pot that seems to undermine the theory that Native Americans came to North America across the Bering Strait, but someone is willing to kill to preserve the theory.

6. Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?

I have two agents. One for books and one for screen rights. Maybe I should ask the screen rights agent about question 4.

7. How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?

It isn’t complete, but my first drafts usually take about two months.

8. What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?

The Maltese Falcon as re-written by Woody Allen.

9. Who or what inspired you to write this book?

My fans who send me emails saying “keep ‘em coming” and my wife who enjoys the royalty checks.

10. What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?

In the last book, Hubie’s new love interest Sharice told him she couldn’t sleep with him until she told him something she wasn’t ready to disclose. In the NBT, she tells him. The problem is, I have no idea what her secret is. Anyone with an idea, please contact me. I can’t pay you, but I can at least mention you in the acknowledgements.

If you check these author websites, you will see what their NBT is and meet some interesting storytellers:










No comments:

Post a Comment